In 1922, various African-American funeral directors across the State of Tennessee formed an organization, The Tennessee Colored Funeral Directors’ Association. Between the 12th and 36th Annual Convention, the organization was renamed the Tennessee Negro Funeral Directors' Association.
As conditions changed another evolution was taking place. The Tennessee State Funeral Directors and Morticians Association, Inc. was organized on May 27, 1969, in Nashville, Tennessee. The first meeting of the TSFDMA, Inc. was held in Nashville, Tennessee on November 26,1969. It was call to order at 1:43 p.m. by the Chairman of the Board, Mr. J. D. Martin.
The First President and General Officers were:
- President - Mr. J. D. Martin
- Executive Secretary - Doris E. Hayes
- Assistant Recording Secretary - Mr. Samuel Trammell, Jr.
- Treasurer - Mrs. J. E. Morton
- Chaplain - Mr. N. J. Ford
- Publicity - Director Mr. H. V. Curry
- Chairman, Board of Directors - Mr. R. Strickland
- Board Secretary - Mr. E. F. Hayes, Jr.
The constituent association consists of four (4) districts:
- East Tennessee District 1: Knoxville, Maryville, Kingsport, Morristown, Johnson City, Bristol, Greenville, Rogersville, Chattanooga, South Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Athens, Sweetwater, Charleston, Dayton, Rockwood, Pikeville, Spring City and any other town in this general area.
- Middle Tennessee District 2: Nashville, Gallatin, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, Tullahoma, Winchester, Shelbyville, Columbia, Pulaski, Clarksville, Springfield, Mt. Pleasant, Ashland City, and any other town in this general area.
- Middle-West Tennessee District 3: Humboldt, Bolivar, Brownsville, Dyersburg, Jackson, Huntingdon, Paris, Whiteville, and any other town in this general area.
- West Tennessee District 4: Covington, Barlett, Mason, Memphis, Millington, Somerville, and any other town in this general area.
- Judith Mooney Hill, President
- Michael Miller, 1st Vice President
- Albert Nelson, 2nd Vice President
- Doris Hayes, Executive Secretary
- Cheryl Franklin Key, Recording Secretary
- Jo Ann J. Williams, CFSP, Treasurer
- Wendall Naylor, CFSP, MBIE, Chairman of the Board
- Robert Davis, CFSP, Chaplain
- Cecial Giles, CFSP, Parlamentarian
- Joseph Ivey, Sargeant-at-arms
Board of Directors:
- Chairman - Wendell J. Naylor, CFSP
- East: Peggy Bourn, Eugene Williams, CFSP
- Middle: Melvin Chatman, CFSP, Linda Johnson
- Middle-West: Jerry L. Mercer, CFSP, Chester Baskerville
- West: Carol Ford-Beasley, Charian Harrison